words that keep me going

"im going to Disney World!!!!"
luke whiting

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

the price of tomatoes

How crazy is my grocery bill lately.  It has overwhelmed me and I am constantly thinking of different ways to ease the pain.  I am happy to say my first year attempt to grow from seed so far is doing well.  Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, basil, oregano, thyme, onions and some sunflowers have all sprouted and aching to get into the garden.  But if you cant find the time or the space to do it in your own yard, why not visit your local farmers market.  It is THE hip place to go.  I heard from an avid marketer friend that Portsmouth's farmer's market this past Saturday sold out by 9:30 am!  in the rain!  Many others believe with the cost of fuel and the awareness of pesticides and 2 week old produce not being a turn on, locally grown product costs will come down.  Now that is a positive thing to look forward to!  Check out your local market, they are everywhere! My mom is so excited for this change to happen, "it is like the old fashion way of living ".  I guess good things eventually do come around again.  It beats the $6 gallon of Lactaid I bought in NY this past week!  Maybe Ill get my own cow?!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad to see you back. I missed you. You've been gone a week and you come back and talk about tomatoes. You're not even going to tell us about your vacation?????

Unknown said...

Good one. Yes, good things do eventually come around again. The old fashion way of living is indeed interesting as far as some areas of life is concerned, but who has the time for it now a days! I am planning of doing some veg gardening this year. In fact I've already started. Trying to grow tomatoes, green leafy veg, long beans, broad beans etc. Let us see how it goes.