words that keep me going

"im going to Disney World!!!!"
luke whiting

Monday, June 16, 2008

look outside the circle.

To top this year off (only 6 months to go!) Cole contracted Lyme Disease.  Yes, the lyme disease we all hear about and are petrified of, well I am anyway.  It is inevitable unless we lived in a bubble to find ticks on the kids when we are outside in the woods and grass every day but when you see THE "ring" it is a taste of reality.  Lucky enough I caught it in time.  
It was about last week when I pulled
 off his shirt for a bath and saw a piece of dirt, I looked closer & it was a tick. (yes, it is the size of a pin point) I needed to pull it off, so it was embedded.  Thinking I got it in time I had no other worries.  Then Friday as Cole was romping around shirtless I noticed a red ring.  Thinking it was just a rub or a mosquito bite, I ignored it. (sounds like when I ignored him screaming and he had a face full of blood and needed 6 stitches or when he had a "belly ache" and he went into anaphylactic shock..? nice mom.)  Anyway, at dinner, still shirtless this rub was still there..? Realized it was the same spot I found the tick about a week ago.  Called the doctor that
 second and talked to the Exeter Hospital on call nurse and they got me to come in the next morning to look at it.  I still wasn't positive of what it should look like so I was a little naive & skeptical.  Well, the Dr. saw it and told me that it looked like there was a chance & to mark it with  a marker, if it shrinks (it could be a bug bite of some kind), it wasn't lyme, but if it grew, start the prescription right away for 21 days... Well, it grew.  Some info for you moms.  Also, if you catch it within 2-3 weeks after the bite you are ok(with medication of course), but if your child has headaches, fever, sore muscles look for a ring. (see photo) Luckily Cole's ring was large, but it can be very, very small and grow larger, resulting in not catching it before the 3 week window.  It also doesn't have to be near the tick bite. The ring can appear anywhere, so look carefully.
So, if anything I learned something and can pass off this important info to others.  
Did I mention also I got poison ivy.. ??  Yes, this year has been exciting..?

No comments: