Is it strange that every time I walk down to our garden the boys run down before me to check on what has "changed" since yesterday? They get so excited to count how may red tomatoes we have and Mason picks all the cucumbers. (though half our batch that we pick usually gets eaten on the way back up to the house.) Who cares, it warms me to know my kids are appreciating "whole" food and learning and understanding about the earth and what it can supply us. I was ecstatic to find yesterday one HUGE watermelon and the kids were also as they carried it home to cut it up and eat. Unfortunately, it wasn't ripe yet even as it was so big..I guess they get bigger? Anyone know how to tell when a watermelon IS ripe enough to pick and eat.? I was devastated that I picked it prematurely and had to waste it. But as always, my Mason brings up the point that "we do have others growing in the garden and we can use the seeds from this one to grow more!" He is a shining light huh?
Then there are the 9 feet tall sunflowers that are booming! I am amazed that these huge stalks grow out of the seed the size of a fingernail..The kids cant believe they are taller than daddy & like shading themselves with their large leaves.
We aren't surviving on the garden but it has supplied us with tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers and squash for some time along with all the fresh herbs needed...All I really need is
to learn how to grow my boys' staple snack food..bananas!?
1 comment:
Wow, how great is that Watermelon! Who wouldn't have thought it was ready? It doesn't continue to ripen on the counter like a tomato??? You can add it to your compost can :) Do your vegetables taste any different? I have heard that home grown cherry tomatoes taste much better. How exciting! Did you get big enough eggplant for my eggplant parm????
Post a Comment